Sat, Feb 08|
Dave Correa's Workshop
Instructor & Volunteer Intro. Workshops
Workshops Saturdays 9AM - 1PM -- informal training for volunteers and instructors working with us. Get to know our team while we mix in additional projects to prepare for our 2020 programs. Plus March 7, 14, & 21 focused instructor training & assembly of a Bevin's Skiff. February 9 - March 2
Time & Location
Feb 08, 2020, 9:00 AM – Apr 04, 2020, 1:00 PM
Dave Correa's Workshop, 3600 S Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60609, USA
About The Event
Instructor & Volunteer Workshops for 2020 -- Saturdays 9AM - 1PM - A typical workshops begin at 9am and break at Noon for lunch which will be provided and the group usually ends at 1pm. Join Chicago Maritime Arts Center Instructors and Operating Board members to learn more about what we do and how we do it. Folks are welcome to drop in as we work on projects in preparation for our 2020 programming. On March 7, 14, & 21 we will dry-fit a Bevin's Skiff Boat Kit used in our boat building programs and discuss teaching with kids. Folks with other volunteer interests are welcome to be part of the workshops, as wood working experience is not at all required. We look forward to meeting and developing additional depth to our cadre of volunteers.
We ask that you email Program Coordinator Patrick McBriarty at: patrick@ChicagoMaritime.org to let us know the days and times you plan to attend as we need a head count to organize projects and lunches. Please include some idea of your interests, how you might like to contribute, and skills you would like to apply.
Workshops begin Saturday, February 8th for nine (9) Saturdays with the last one on April 11th. The schedule is Saturdays from 9am - Noon with lunch included afterward for those who wish to stick around. The group usually breaks up about 1pm and occasionally a few folks will stick around finish up a little additional work.
The Volunteer & Instructor Workshop schedule is as follows:
- Feb. 8, 15, 22, & 29 -- Catch video about CMAC boat building, try and learn about our aluminum boat - golf ball challenge, discuss our programs (boat building and boating skills & maritime ecology), overview of our program calendar -- (Sidebar: some of the above time Dave Correia will likely work with Phil on shop electrical). Also work in Bevin's Skiff Sail Conversion and skin-on-frame canoe(s).
- March 7, 14, & 21 -- Dry fit a Bevin's Skiff Kit for new volunteers & potential instructors to learn the build and discussion of working with kids and teaching approaches.
- March 21 -- Besides Bevin's Skiff building training as described above a few folks will also organize tools and supplies for Eleanor Boat House Program (planned start - Tuesday, March 25).
- March 28 & April 4 -- Any of the following as time allows
- Finish Sailing Kits for the two Bevin's Skiffs
- Complete at least one Skin-on-Frame Canoe
- Build out CMAC Trailer
All interested volunteers or potential instructors for our boat building programs are especially encouraged to attend the March 7, 14, & 21 Workshops. We hope to have several of our Board of Directors and Operating Board also members in attenence on March 7 in particular. Any of these Workshops are good venues for those who are simply curious to visit us or drop in and meet our instructors and other volunteers to get a better feel for Chicago Maritime Arts Center and how our 2020 is shaping up.
For questions and to sign up email Program Coordinator Patrick McBriarty at: patrick@ChicagoMaritime.org
Thank you in advance for contributing to Building Boats, Building Kids!